Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.
Rules have been updated! Here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
windows antivirus the defender is 10 best

Windows Defender Is the Best Windows 10 Antivirus
Just use Windows Defender, it is good enough.
Unfortunately Defender is now detecting most bittorrent clients even open source ones downloaded directly from github as malware and even worse, often times setting an exclusion either doesn't work or will stop working after the next reboot.  So far the only solution has been to either use something else or disable all PUP/PUA scanning entirely.
(05-04-2021, 12:16 AM)nl255 Wrote: Unfortunately Defender is now detecting most bittorrent clients even open source ones downloaded directly from github as malware and even worse, often times setting an exclusion either doesn't work or will stop working after the next reboot.  So far the only solution has been to either use something else or disable all PUP/PUA scanning entirely.
disable these 2 modules in Defender protection settings: cloud protection module and automatic sample submission
[Image: XeGouw2s_o.png]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Skunk1966 for this post:
  • nodnar
A few months ago my computer got the virus that encrypts all files and the only antivirus I have is Windows Defender. So I don't know how good it is.
(05-05-2021, 05:22 PM)Hellboy. Wrote: A few months ago my computer got the virus that encrypts all files and the only antivirus I have is Windows Defender. So I don't know how good it is.

I keep hearing that Windows Defender is very trigger happy with otherwise safe programs or scripts (things that you would get from GitHub) and I have also heard of someone who tested Windows Defender and it failed miserably.

Truth is Windows Defender is only good if you don't visit the "shadier" side of the internet. Like Windows 10, Windows Defender was made for amateur computer users who only use the internet to read the news, check the weather etc.
(05-07-2021, 07:55 AM)boxesofkittens Wrote: Windows Defender was made for amateur computer users who only use the internet to read the news, check the weather etc.
dunno dude, i use it at work on about 400  PCs and laptops
the key to success is not by installing X antivirus but rather a combination of security measures. AV is just one part of them, others being mail filters, firewalls and such.
(05-07-2021, 01:34 PM)mr4rg Wrote: dunno dude, i use it at work on about 400  PCs and laptops
the key to success is not by installing X antivirus but rather a combination of security measures. AV is just one part of them, others being mail filters, firewalls and such.

Yeah that is true. uBlock protects you from ads, popups and redirects. As for mail filters, you should just not click on spam. Gmail does a pretty good job at filtering spam.
Use NextDNS protects you from all kinds of security threats, blocks ads and trackers on websites and in apps and provides a safe and supervised Internet for kids — on all devices and on all networks.
(05-07-2021, 03:06 PM)boxesofkittens Wrote: As for mail filters, you should just not click on spam.
Well in my case what I do is I make sure my users will never see spam in the first place.
I've had ESET installed on my main PC for a long time, but I feel that Windows Defender is probably good enough.
But I don't feel comfortable without the ESET icon in the notification area.[Image: 57.gif]