Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.
Rules have been updated! Here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
to in musk 30 reach says starlink 20 billion investments total

Musk says total investments in Starlink to reach $20-$30 billion
BARCELONA, June 29 (Reuters) - Elon Musk said on Tuesday that total investments in Starlink would reach between $5 billion and $10 billion before the satellite internet venture achieves positive cash flow.
Over the lifetime of the project, total investments could run to $20-$30 billion, the Tesla Inc,CEO told the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
"It's a lot, basically," Musk said in a video interview from California
At least that says they are serious about it and it isn't a side project that will easily get scrapped (looking at you, Google). I was excited for Google Fiber when it was first announced but it ended up going nowhere. I believe Musk said Starlink is mainly aimed at rural areas that don't have good internet access and it isn't meant for everyone.
(07-01-2021, 12:30 AM)hqabc Wrote: At least that says they are serious about it and it isn't a side project that will easily get scrapped (looking at you, Google). I was excited for Google Fiber when it was first announced but it ended up going nowhere. I believe Musk said Starlink is mainly aimed at rural areas that don't have good internet access and it isn't meant for everyone.

Exactly.  I do not know what has gotten into Google lately.  The seem to throw away more than the produce.
That's it? I would have guessed more by the time everything is fully up and running including the costs of the rockets.
Even if it eventually does, the -ping must be very high I think.
Starlink (in priciple) seems like a great idea, I for one would jump on getting it BUT the coverage in urban areas isn't as great according to their own texts.
But idea of having internet on every place of the earth is breathtaking. I think that not many percent of people have access to internet
(07-13-2021, 08:24 AM)froggyw5523 Wrote: Starlink (in priciple) seems like a great idea, I for one would jump on getting it BUT the coverage in urban areas isn't as great according to their own texts.
Pretty sure that replacing land line providers in urban areas was never the intent. But rather getting internet to areas that don't have those as an option in a manner that is far better than the current satellite options that exist. Before these new offerings, satellite was only one small step up from dial up.
Starlink Has been a wonderful addition to my locale as there is no cabled internet or phone lines in this neck of the woods. Being able to download news from the world is so nice to have even if most of that news is tragic.
Wonder if it has a plan regarding negotiation to cover Russia territory