Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.
Rules have been updated! Here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
windows antivirus the defender is 10 best

Windows Defender Is the Best Windows 10 Antivirus
Is a third-party antivirus still required on Windows 10?

Starting with the launch of Windows 8 back in 2012, Microsoft’s offering its desktop operating system with a pre-installed antivirus solution called Windows Defender and based on an older security product known as Security Essentials.

Since the release of Windows 10, however, Windows Defender has evolved substantially. So substantially that it’s now the antivirus of choice for many users out there who no longer feel the need for third-party protection that usually comes with a fee.

I, for one, am using Windows Defender as the one and only security software on my Windows 10 laptop, and until now, I’ve never experienced any sort of problem with it. Needless to say, no malware has ever reached my files, and Windows Defender managed to block all infections before any damage was made.

Getting back to the evolution of Windows Defender in Windows 10, this is something that’s pretty clear right from the moment you run the operating system for the first time.

In Windows 10 April 2018 Update, Windows Defender is the central part of a more advanced feature called Windows Defender Security Center and grouping all security tools in the operating system, including parental controls and firewall settings. This means Microsoft is slowly pushing Windows Defender beyond its antivirus condition, eventually making it the one and only security product Windows 10 users would need.

At this point, Windows Defender has the essential feature package that’s also available in third-party products, including real-time protection, frequent updates, and scheduled scan support. Furthermore, since it’s integrated into Windows 10, the impact it has on system performance is minimal, and you won’t even notice that it’s there protecting your data.

Windows Defender becoming a top security solution is also reflected in the most recent antivirus tests. German institute AV-TEST’s latest research shows that Windows Defender has improved detection capabilities and it now blocks most of the known and zero-day malware on Windows 10.

For example, Windows Defender blocked 98 percent of the 0-day malware attacks in a March test and 100 percent of them in April, while the industry average is at 99.5 percent. When it comes to detection of known malware, it blocked 100 percent and 99.9 percent of the threats, with the industry average sitting at 99.9 percent.

Windows Defender also scores big in terms of usability and it returns nearly zero false positives. The industry average for false detection of legitimate software as malware during a system scan is 10, and Windows Defender only offered 4 such warnings in the two tests.

There are some people out there who’d rather put their data in the hands of a third-party security solution, mostly because of the history behind Windows Defender and the feature lineup that often includes many more options in the case of other vendors.

But sticking with Windows Defender and staying away from malware isn’t necessarily just a thing of having the antivirus product block all threats. It also involves users paying attention to the most basic security recommendations, such as not visiting websites known for spreading malware or downloading apps from sources they do not trust and ignoring all warnings.

I’d say that Windows Defender is just the perfect security solution for Windows 10 users who know how to protect their data, though the simple fact that it’s a native app enabled by default in the operating system and protecting all Windows 10 devices makes it the right choice for beginners as well.

Sooner or later, however, Windows Defender would become an even more advanced security product, not necessarily thanks to improved antivirus capabilities, but because all Windows 10 security features would be built around it. And with Windows 10 becoming the most widely-adopted OS on the desktop, it’ll be interesting to see how many users would still want a third-party antivirus.

Code:
https://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-defender-is-the-best-windows-10-antivirus-522035.shtml
[-] The following 9 users say Thank You to vidi for this post:
  • knowledge, MaskedUser, Popz, PriSim, rasbridge, sascajun, slava, WALLONN7, wender_ma
Erm........ No, thanks!!

I myself prefer a real AV and no false alerts.
But Defender might also work perfect for Win10 Spying. 78
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Israeli_Eagle for this post:
  • Iznogoud, vidi, WALLONN7
(07-19-2018, 10:54 AM)Israeli_Eagle Wrote: I myself prefer a real AV and no false alerts.
But Defender might also work perfect for Win10 Spying. 78

Yeah. You are in good company. In all fairness, however, I'd not go as far calling WD as a MS "spy". ;-)
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to vidi for this post:
  • Israeli_Eagle, WALLONN7
I'm Zohan, so... Always openly what I feel & think.  67
(Of course fair & polite.)
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Israeli_Eagle for this post:
  • vidi, WALLONN7
Using WD on 3 PCs. All going well.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to p4psb for this post:
  • neofita, vidi, WALLONN7
maybe it will not be the best, but it's enough 1 
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to neofita for this post:
  • p4psb, vidi, WALLONN7
Now we are supposed to trust an AV software from the same company who has not, in 35 years, been able to make a secure version of Windows. I still say the best way to prevent any type of malware is thru policies that absolutely stop anything unacceptable from running on the system. A good list of items to block can be found on
Code:
https://jameszero.net/srp.htm
and expand the spoiler.
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to straycat19 for this post:
  • ag6ag, Cutletz, rasbridge, WALLONN7
I lately switched 2 machines running Defender for about 2 years to ESET IS. On my system ESET found the files i had excluded in Defender and on the other 2 PUPs. Not bad considering 1 machine is running Win 8.1 update 1.

A quite underestimated part of the equation is a fortified browser (to avoid drive-by stuff and obvious mining attempts) paired with a generally sceptic user behavior. Things that sound too good are never true ... this is the internet not any magic realm some seem to expect it.

The thing that made me switch was the annoying amount of background scanning Defender performs for any system related action a users starts, delaying the action upto several seconds.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to s1ave77 for this post:
  • Israeli_Eagle, MaskedUser, WALLONN7
(07-20-2018, 03:41 PM)s1ave77 Wrote: I lately switched 2 machines running Defender for about 2 years to ESET IS. On my system ESET found the files i had excluded in Defender and on the other 2 PUPs. Not bad considering 1 machine is running Win 8.1 update 1.

A quite underestimated part of the equation is a fortified browser (to avoid drive-by stuff and obvious mining attempts) paired with a generally sceptic user behavior. Things that sound too good are never true ... this is the internet not any magic realm some seem to expect it.

The thing that made me switch was the annoying amount of background scanning Defender performs for any system related action a users starts, delaying the action upto several seconds.

what do you think of the paid version of Zemana ...would it be a waste of time and effort or is it a good program...hard to go by what is written on the internet because very little is not written about this stuff that is not from the software makers themselves or by people that are somehow surreptitiously  beholden to the software makers....
 so i try to ask at sites like this for honest opinions
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to dMog for this post:
  • glennjakob
(07-28-2018, 12:18 PM)dMog Wrote: what do you think of the paid version of Zemana ...would it be a waste of time and effort or is it a good program...hard to go by what is written on the internet because very little is not written about this stuff that is not from the software makers themselves or by people that are somehow surreptitiously  beholden to the software makers....
 so i try to ask at sites like this for honest opinions

Can't say much. Only tried the free cleaner once.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to s1ave77 for this post:
  • aio921016, dMog