Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.
Rules have been updated! Here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
their privacy facebook concern over of have nearly 1 out 10 americans deleted account

Nearly 1 out of 10 Americans have deleted their Facebook account over privacy concern
Nearly 1 out of 10 Americans have deleted their Facebook account over privacy concerns, study says

• Kif Leswing 6hrs ago
    • 9% of Americans say they have deleted their Facebook account altogether over privacy concerns, according to a new study. 

• 35% say they're using Facebook less than they used to.
  • Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in his testimony this week in Washington that there wasn't a "meaningful" number of people who are deleting Facebook in the wake of revelations that data firms like Cambridge Analytica were able to steal personal information from millions of users. 

But this seems unlikely, given the huge amount of press coverage. The hashtag "#DeleteFacebook" has trended, and you may even personally know people who zapped their Facebook account. 

So Carolina Milanesi and technology research group Techpinions decided to survey a representative sample of 1,000 Americans about their feelings about the social networking giant. 

Here are the big takeaways: 
    • 17% of Americans have deleted the Facebook app from their phone over privacy concerns.

• 35% say they're using Facebook less than they used to over the privacy issue. 

• 9% have deleted their Facebook account altogether.

• 39% of Americans are "very aware" and 37% say they're "somewhat aware" of the Cambridge Analytica scandal. 
  • Of course, these are self-reported numbers, and there may be a gap between people who say they deleted their Facebook and those who actually did. 

Milanesi writes that lower engagement is actually the real risk for Facebook, not necessarily people deleting their accounts.
    According to the study, 2 out of 5 people surveyed who had been on Facebook for over 7 years wanted it to "go back to how it was." Facebook's main product hasn't changed that much in recent years, so perhaps, like Zuckerberg, they're reminiscing about a time where it was run out of a Harvard dorm room and the key feature was the "poke." 
Source:
Code:
http://uk.businessinsider.com/delete-facebook-statistics-nearly-10-percent-americans-deleted-facebook-account-study-2018-4
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to rasbridge for this post:
  • Michaela Joy, nodnar
OP edited.
Source link coded.
Anything wrong?!
Doubt about something in the forums?!

Please push Report button or send me a PM!!! 

Guidelines

Member Ranks

How to use various forum functionalities
======================================================================================

AiOwares is a community whose existence takes place by itself, not by movements unrelated to it.

======================================================================================
besides thinkspot, do you know if there is a good alternative?
(05-22-2021, 12:08 AM)f724d23534 Wrote: besides thinkspot, do you know if there is a good alternative?

don't think there is an alternative to Facebook, not one platform has so many users on it.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to yyjh for this post:
  • f724d23534
I deleted my fb years ago, never been happier, it is a toilet of misinformation now.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to onlymeinside for this post:
  • retired
In the end it's all about money. FB = business, businesses' are financially motivated. What ticks me is us, the consumers being the product.
Anything is good when you get a benifit of it's usage when you become a slave of certain a service,person,other you need to make a step back and think. I still use it for certain needs but i can live happily without it too.
facebook still gather your data from your friends still using facebook if you got mentioned or in their pictures, its called shadow account or something.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to teikiteiki for this post:
  • misterbull
(06-03-2021, 11:40 AM)NikKlaus Wrote: Anything is good when you get a benifit of it's usage when you become a slave of certain a service,person,other you need to make a step back and think. I still use it for certain needs but i can live happily without it too.

Yeah especially for Niklas Denhus 
There is an alternative to Facebook that everyone uses. You even need it to set up a Facebook account: email.

Email can be presented in any GUI - e.g. compare how Outlook, em Client, Spike, DeltaChat present email. I highly recommend DeltaChat, which is an open-source project that gives email an appearance like FB Messenger with extra encryption. Email also includes most of the features/metadata that Facebook uses - Photo sharing and compression? yes. Date/Time on posts? yes. Sharing with multiple recipients? yes. Threaded replies? yes. Graphical reactions? yes (native in FB, webp stickers in email). etc., etc.

I've often thought, why not make a GUI for email that looks like Facebook? Everyone will already have an account. And it will be platform-agnostic (you can use any email service you want). It will be more private than Facebook, if it implements PGP/AutoCrypt. DeltaChat and Spike are the beginning.

Code:
https://delta.chat/en/
https://www.spikenow.com/