Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.
Rules have been updated! Here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
chip intel reiterates years last supply several could shortages

Intel reiterates chip supply shortages could last several years
Intel Corp’s (INTC.O) CEO said on Monday it could take several years for a global shortage of semiconductors to be resolved, a problem that has shuttered some auto production lines and is also being felt in other areas, including consumer electronics.

Pat Gelsinger told a virtual session of the Computex trade show in Taipei that the work-and-study-from-home trend during the COVID-19 pandemic had led to a "cycle of explosive growth in semiconductors" that has placed huge strain on global supply chains.
"But while the industry has taken steps to address near term constraints it could still take a couple of years for the ecosystem to address shortages of foundry capacity, substrates and components."

Gelsinger had told The Washington Post in an interview in mid-April the shortage was going to take “a couple of years” to abate, and that it planned to start producing chips within six to nine months to address shortages at U.S. car plants.

Intel announced a $20 billion plan in March to expand its advanced chip manufacturing capacity, building two factories in Arizona and opening its plants to outside customers.
"We plan to expand to other locations in the U.S. and Europe, ensuring a sustainable and secure semiconductor supply chain for the world," Gelsinger said, without elaborating.
Intel's plans could directly challenge the two other companies in the world that can make the most advanced chips - Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd (TSMC) (2330.TW), and South Korea's Samsung Electronics Co Ltd (005930.KS).

The two have come to dominate the semiconductor manufacturing business, moving its centre of gravity from the United States, where much of the technology was once invented, to Asia, where more than two-thirds of advanced chips are now manufactured.

Source:
Code:
https://www.reuters.com/technology/intel-reiterates-chip-supply-shortages-could-last-several-years-2021-05-31/

Holy shit,so the prices will touch the sky.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to NikKlaus for this post:
  • BALTAGY
i dont think it will last that long. the shortage will probably be there for around 2 years. right now we are at the booming cycle. theres too much investment going on in the fab world. when those plants come into production in two years, there will be excess supply and the industry would be at the bust cycle.
That sucks, was thinking to upgrade my laptop. Guess I will wait a bit more.
This hits all of the industries - main reason why many automobile factories were temporary closed.
I care more about that when will this Fxxking pandemic COVID -19 could be over
Hopefully soon.
(07-13-2021, 05:31 AM)HACKX Wrote: care more about that w
damn... still worried.. \
(06-25-2021, 01:52 PM)Pz_Miko Wrote: That sucks, was thinking to upgrade my laptop. Guess I will wait a bit more.
Wait, maybe for long, or on the other hand hurry before it becomes worst :-/