Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.
Rules have been updated! Here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
gpu shortage the great

The Great GPU Shortage
We would have plenty of the new NVIDIA 30 series, except the crypto miners are snapping them up as soon as they hit the stores, online or offline. And this is despite NVIDIA trying to put a crimp on the performance for crypto mining in the drivers, but one slight problem, an version of the driver was accidentally leaked that did not have the crypto cripple code in it. So, we are right back to not having any 30 series card available. 14 102
I really wanted a 3060.
(04-12-2021, 06:28 PM)kk136 Wrote: I really wanted a 3060.
try joining newegg's shuffle whenever they come up, or join EVGA's queue. Small chance at winning, but it's more than enough given that scalpers are buying out cards as soon as they are available
It hurts Nvidia and AMD directly, to resellers, yes, the money is the money, all the same. But to manufacturers, the shortage would make people lose faith in them
One of the reasons contributed to the huge GPU shortage is the skyrocketing price of the cryptocurrency, other reasons may be because of the lack of particular computing power for Ethereum. If the shortage could be solved by inventing the ASIC for Ethereum or locking the possibility of mining using GPU by NVDIA or AMD, it would be alleviated in the future.
(04-13-2021, 02:38 AM)ChocoFudge Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 06:28 PM)kk136 Wrote: I really wanted a 3060.
try joining newegg's shuffle whenever they come up, or join EVGA's queue. Small chance at winning, but it's more than enough given that scalpers are buying out cards as soon as they are available

Thanks for the info. I will try doing that.
I really wanted 3080. But in my country seller sold them only as seller's BTO machine.
I hope 3080 with GA102-202 or trasit to PoS will solve this situation.
(05-18-2021, 02:31 PM)bakaito9 Wrote: I hope 3080 with GA102-202 or trasit to PoS will solve this situation.
They only limit ethereum mining though, right?
What I mean is ethereum being most profitable for mining right now, but won't miners start mining something else?
The shortages on top of the tariff exemption that expired on Dec 31, 2020 has made GPUs exorbitantly expensive.
are we expecting storage drive shortage too?